Thursday, January 07, 2010

Mike Kelley's Frankenstein


My rag boll collection after Mike Kelley



His work questions the legitimacy of ‘normative’ values and systems of authority, and attacks the sanctity of cultural attitudes toward family, religion, sexuality, art history, and education. Mike Kelley on PBS


I found this installation to resemble a pile of rag dolls disturbing. The work was dismantled soon after it was photographed.


Never you mind....

MK: From the response I was getting to my works with stuffed animals and craft materials-people went on about how the work was about child abuse. What was my problem? Why was I playing with these toys? Had I been abused? Was I a pedophile? I didn’t understand what they were talking about. But when I did a bit of research, I discovered how culturally omnipresent this infatuation with child abuse was..... - Interview

No comments:

Disclaimer:

Views expressed on thebookmann are not affiliated with any Art Organizations and an “Art Review” may be open to interpretation as it is an observation at face value.

Amendments to such articles if misleading or with grammatical errors shall be corrected accordingly.

All photographs, Feinin studies, accompanying quotes, articles and visual headers appearing on site are the exclusive property of Richard Bolai © 2004 - 2010 All Rights Reserved.

Any fare use is restricted without written permission