Friday, January 29, 2010

Kiki Smith by Feinin

Tying up some loose ends

After Kourai

After Lying with the Wolf

After Rapture

Chained after Tale by Kiki smith, a sculpture depicting a naked women with a trail of excrement expelled from her anus, it is abhorrent

I am not sure I understand Kiki Smith’s work, but I do realize that she has an obsession with wolves, be it dead or alive. Underneath though, her work has a pagan ritual. In the second parody, Messenger where a number of gold leaf strips are tied together and suspended from the ceiling, she includes a bird which is perched in flight as part of the installation. As simple as it was, my structure collapsed and fell apart regardless of how I tried to secure bars together.

I also refused to put it up in the gallery space as it gave the same type of energy as with Tom Fredmans' parodies. At one point I would have collected all the bars and arranged them in a bond fire to be burnt. So I decided an alternative, a bird feeder.

After the Messenger

Yes, it’s real after keeping still for some time, the birds got use to me.

After Hanging Woman

This installation of a woman being hung brought back memories of the work by Mike Kelley but it was not as ominous. Although I had great difficulty keeping the upper part in place, the strains of thread also give hell. What does this all mean? Wiccan.

"Burnt on a Friday, full moon...

No comments:

Disclaimer:

Views expressed on thebookmann are not affiliated with any Art Organizations and an “Art Review” may be open to interpretation as it is an observation at face value.

Amendments to such articles if misleading or with grammatical errors shall be corrected accordingly.

All photographs, Feinin studies, accompanying quotes, articles and visual headers appearing on site are the exclusive property of Richard Bolai © 2004 - 2010 All Rights Reserved.

Any fare use is restricted without written permission