Sunday, September 28, 2008

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti - Self portrait series


A study of illusion and reality, parody, humour and humanity

In this revision of a self study of Michelangelo, I found myself lost. At first, I felt a man who was somewhat, (soft in his manner), but then, I could not see or describe anything else but rather of an (overwhelming being) that completely merged with me, feininoptic if you like. Somehow I knew, as it was someone I thought quite fondly of, a man who knows (what all this means to me), and why I am so restless, so unfulfilled, softly touching as I am lost in him.

.................................................................................................................

Related to the fresco, the Creation: Moments after I completed this self study, I was compelled to take a bath. There, I washed and scrubbed my skin in vigorous motion as if I was polishing stone or to remove the cakes of sweat from a body weak and tired. This has relevancy. In this composition, it gave meaning to an artist who in his right mind was a pronounced omni-god, a genus beyond any description.


What I felt was a painter who exercised every part of his body, every muscle, every blood vessel to produce a mirage of the meaning of life, in its creation and its afterlife. I felt the presence of a man who uplifted the (world) and gave his benefactors the visions they wanted to see in a specular and glorious exaggeration.

In this creation, I felt as if (Man) was of the flesh, and at an age that stood still at twenty five. And that (God) was very much envious of his (beauty), so dainty, so longing and free. Yet, this is how Michelangelo saw the image of (God) as a reflection of himself. He was a sweetman, a saga boy who had captured the hearts of many, but loved only a few.

No comments:

Disclaimer:

Views expressed on thebookmann are not affiliated with any Art Organizations and an “Art Review” may be open to interpretation as it is an observation at face value.

Amendments to such articles if misleading or with grammatical errors shall be corrected accordingly.

All photographs, Feinin studies, accompanying quotes, articles and visual headers appearing on site are the exclusive property of Richard Bolai © 2004 - 2010 All Rights Reserved.

Any fare use is restricted without written permission