Sunday, May 03, 2009

Edward Squire - Remembering Series

Hey Dad, I going to be a Ballet dancer

And they think I am eccentric, Edward Squire's facebook portrait

In the old days of clubbing, I remember that I had the ability to jump, turn and kick back my leg and land back where I was first positioned. In New York, I remember that I was told that I should be one of Madonna's dancers. I think it was my timing and strength as a thin wiry dud. At a club in Toronto, I sometimes noticed in the distance, another dancer, muscularly built with a medium height who seemed to look at me with a pinch of envy. This was burly Edward Squire, who when I got to know him initially danced for the American Ballet Theatre under the direction of Mikhail Baryshnikov. I often wondered over this, perhaps it was my timing as I thought of Edward's size as a dancer and the agility it takes to get airborne. Unfortunately, an injury put a stop to his career.

Edward had a great sense of style, I remember those silk shirts and his cap. I bought his black motorcycle leather jacket. He also had an aura that drew in a magical union. Things naturally happened, doors opened. At any event, people just offered tickets or invited us in to their private parties. I remember his work as a hybrid of fashion and sculptural armor wear, particularly his chain link jacket so many years ago at Gallery 76, Toronto. Edward Squire lives in Bangkok, Thailand.

Excepts from a exhibition, “Being with 15 minutes”

In Bangkok, new malls open, renovate, and expand in the frenzy of creating the “bigger, better” experience. This insanity creates an endless quest to evolve and transform “mall life” driving people to buy stuff they believe they need for a great life. The fallacy is that these objects in themselves have no value beyond the objects themselves. People are sucked into an endless cycle of collecting useless junk that cause a false sense of fulfillment. This institution we call “the mall” becomes a socially acceptable asylum of people searching for life meaning lost in space!

1 comment:

FAPORT International said...

Really nice article....

Disclaimer:

Views expressed on thebookmann are not affiliated with any Art Organizations and an “Art Review” may be open to interpretation as it is an observation at face value.

Amendments to such articles if misleading or with grammatical errors shall be corrected accordingly.

All photographs, Feinin studies, accompanying quotes, articles and visual headers appearing on site are the exclusive property of Richard Bolai © 2004 - 2010 All Rights Reserved.

Any fare use is restricted without written permission